- I’m now offering SYNCYOGA [For Athletic Recovery] at SYNCStudio South in Durham. Saturdays, 12:30-1:45 p.m. My SYNCYOGA [The Basics] class now meets on Thursdays, 5:45 p.m. Drop in to either class for only $13!
- A new eight-week session of Yoga 101 starts Sept. 2, Carrboro Yoga Company! Sign up now to save your space in this popular series for brand new beginners and students desiring to brush up on the fundamentals.
- I’ve joined the fantastic staff of Blue Point Yoga Center in Durham where I will teach Intermediate Vinyasa, Tuesdays, 9:30 a.m. and Candlelight Yin Yoga, Fridays, 5:30-6:45 p.m.
- Nicole and Dani Strauss lead an encore presentation of Malas, Mantras, and Movement, Carrboro Yoga Company, Sept. 5
- Summer break is almost over! Yoga for Tweens (ages 8-12), Yoga for Teens (ages 13-17), and Yoga for Young Athletes (ages 11-17) resume at Carrboro Yoga Company the week of Sept. 13.
If you click on “About Nicole”, you’ll probably learn way more than you ever wanted to know about me, my background, and why I’m so passionate about Yoga, but I’ll spare you the details and offer the short version here.
I live in the vibrant Warehouse District in Durham, North Carolina and teach yoga to students of all ages and levels of experience. Having logged over 1,600 hours in the classroom with students ages 2 to 89, I’m registered with the Yoga Alliance at the E-RYT 200 level (the “E” stands for “experienced,” designating two or more years and 1,000 or more hours of teaching and the 200 stands for the highest level of training course I’ve completed). Forever a student of Yoga, I’m enrolled in Carolina Yoga Company’s 300-hour Advanced Studies program and most recently completed a teachers’ intensive in Teaching Yoga to Athletes with internationally renowned expert and studio co-owner Sage Rountree.
I teach a wide variety of classes and workshops, but I have a few specialties and areas of particular interest…
- Breath-paced, mindful Vinyasa (Flow), with emphasis on the qualities Buddhist nun Pema Chödrön encourages us to cultivate in our practice and in our lives: precision, gentleness, and the ability to let go. I offer weekly group classes in Carrboro/Chapel Hill and Durham as well as private and semi-private sessions.
- Yoga for Kids, Teens, and Families, with focus on fun, connection with others, and body and breath awareness. Lil’ Asana is my signature kids’ yoga program I developed for ages 4-8. Currently, I teach weekly Tweens and Teens Yoga and also work one-on-one with young people with ADHD, anxiety disorders, depression, and autism as well as students who desire more individualized sessions.
- Yoga for Athletes Endurance and team sports require the athlete to train to perform specialized movements specific to the sport that are often one-sided (e.g., a tennis serve or golf swing) or emphasize the upper or lower body (e.g., emphasis on lower body in cycling and running). The more serious the athlete, the more specialized and intense the training. This training causes the inadvertent side effect of imbalance. High achievers tend to overtrain, so allotted time for recovery in the training cycle is essential to maintain longevity in their sport and prevent burnout. Yoga helps balance the right and left, front and back, and upper and lower body, challenging the weaker muscles and intentionally stretching and relaxing the stronger ones. Breathing techniques and guided relaxation provide tools to improve focus and ability to perform under pressure. I co-teach Yoga for Young Athletes with Leslie Morgan at Carrboro Yoga Company.
When I’m not on my yoga mat, I write creative nonfiction, manage the social media for Carolina Yoga Company, blog, eat sweet treats, chant kirtan, practice the harmonium, and read as many books as I can get my hands on.
If you have any questions about my classes, workshops, or just want to say hi, fill out the form below and I’ll get back to you within 48 hours.